All Articles

Abigail Leberg

Author: Troy Rutter | Image: Troy Rutter

Abigal LebergAlumni Profile

Graduation year and major

2021, MA in Political Science with a concentration in public policy.

Where do you currently work, and what is your position?

I am a full-time Energy Industry Analyst in the Office of Energy Market Regulation (OEMR) – East Division at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) in Washington, D.C.

Why did you choose to attend Iowa State?

In my pursuit of advanced education through graduate school, I conducted a thorough search for universities housing professors engaged in research on energy policy, electricity markets, and demand-side management. Serendipitously, I discovered that Dr. Yü Wang at ISU was precisely delving into these areas. I proactively reached out to express my interest in becoming her research assistant, and I was fortunate enough to secure the position. Serving as her research assistant proved to be an immensely fulfilling experience.

Why did you choose to major in political science?

I chose to major in political science because of my deep-seated fascination with understanding the complexities of political systems, governance structures, and the intricate interplay of global affairs.

Is there a political science class that you particularly enjoyed? Please explain

Dr. Wang’s energy policy class was particularly captivating and resonated strongly with my interests.

Did any faculty members or staff in the Department of Political Science inspire or support you when you were at Iowa State? How?

All of the professors at Iowa State were exceptionally friendly and supportive. I want to express my heartfelt gratitude, particularly to Dr. Wang, my principal advisor, who played a pivotal role in my personal and academic growth during my tenure at Iowa State..

How has your political science degree supported your career aspirations?

My political science degree has been instrumental in supporting my career aspirations in several ways. It has provided me with a comprehensive understanding of policy analysis and has enhanced my critical thinking skills. This foundation has been invaluable in navigating the complexities of my work in federal government today

What would you tell students who are considering a political science degree at Iowa State?

I would enthusiastically encourage students considering a political science degree at Iowa State to enroll. The exceptional faculty, supportive environment, and comprehensive curriculum not only foster a deep understanding of political dynamics but also provide opportunities for personal and professional growth. The vibrant community and resources at Iowa State create an ideal learning environment, making it a rewarding choice for those passionate about political science.

What advice do you have for political science students who are considering graduate school?

Pursuing a graduate degree requires careful consideration. If it aligns with your career aspirations, it’s a worthwhile pursuit. Begin by introspectively assessing your professional goals and let that guide your decision-making process.

What is your fondest memory of being a political science major at Iowa State?

That’s a great question! My fondest memory as a political science major at Iowa State is undoubtedly the engaging and thought-provoking discussions that took place both inside and outside the classroom. The dynamic exchange of ideas, diverse perspectives, and the intellectually stimulating environment enhanced my academic experience and created lasting connections and memories that I cherish.

What advice do you have for current or future Iowa State political science majors?

I recommend relying on your professors and peers for any assistance you may need. Don’t hesitate to reach out to them if something is unclear or if you find yourself facing a challenge. Everyone is committed to supporting your success and recognizes that you are in a learning process.

Anything else to add?

If any potential or current ISU students would like to contact me for any reason, I’m on LinkedIn. Please don’t hesitate to reach out! If you’re ever in DC, let’s grab a coffee sometime.